Sunday, January 11, 2009

Spelt Pizza Dough Recipe


This is somewhat of an adaption of Peter Reinhart's Napoletana recipe from his book, American Pie. But it's an entirely spelt flour version. I've made many variations of this dough, as I've had to tweak it because spelt flour is obviously different than wheat flour.

Some people who are allergic to wheat itself, like me, rather than allergic to wheat gluten (celiac disease), can tolerate spelt. Luckily, I'm one of those people. Also, fortunately, spelt is becoming increasingly available to the average Joe. AS one of the rare cases of people who developed food allergies later in life (in my late teens), I've obviously had pizza before I developed my food allergies. I actually loved it probably more than any other food.

To have pizza now, I can't have a pizza crust with any type of wheat or rice flours or cornstarch. So this is why I started working on an all spelt pizza crust. After the past two years of tinkering around with various recipes, I stumbled on a post on 101 Cookbooks about Peter Reinhart's book, American Pie. I immediately got the book and read it cover to cover. After reading it, I've spent a lot of time tweaking the Napoletana recipe a bit to fit the spelt flour.

I've also added some tablespoons of rye, quinoa, millet, tapioca, and teff flour to see how it changes the flavor of the dough. I also have used a tablespoon here and there of whole spelt flour. The only real tweak that I've liked is to minus out two tablespoons of white spelt flour from the 5 cups and drop in one tablespoon of whole rye flour and one tablespoon of whole spelt. This seems to add some good "country french" taste to the dough, although I like it with just white spelt flour most of the time.

Also, this is my current spelt dough recipe, as I'm still even tweaking this one, as I've been experimenting with Nate Appleman's (who recently was on Iron Chef America!) recipe for the pizza dough at A16, from his cookbook, A16. In the book, he mentions how one of his favorite pizza restaurants in Naples incorpated dough from the day prior into every batch of dough for superior flavor, so I'm trying to also implement this concept. Anyway, I'll re-post the recipe if I find a new successful recipe.

You'll notice that I use milk in the recipe also, which is definitely against VPN regulations, but I think it makes a lot of sense considering that we're making a spelt pizza rather than a wheat pizza. I find that a little bit of whole milk tends to keep the dough together a lot better than just plain water.


(Napoletana-Style) Spelt Pizza Dough

5 cups white spelt flour
3 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
1 teaspoon instan yeast
1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup whole milk
Olive oil for coating the dough balls

Fit your electric mixer with a dough hook. Pour in all the ingredients into the mixer and mix on your mixer's lowest setting for 4 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes. Then mix on your mixer's secon to lowest setting for an additional two minutes. The dough should be sticky in the mixing bowl and on your hands, but should come out easily in one piece.

Turn your dough out onto a cutting board that you've dusted with white spelt flour. Roll the dough in order to cover the oustide with a thin layer of flour so that it no longer sticks to anything and form into one big ball, pulling the corners under so that you have a nice, smooth top. Dust this top with some flour and lightly rub it around the top.

Now I either split the dough into 4ths or 5ths, depending on how large and thick I want my pizza crusts so be. Form these split pieces of dough into smaller balls and coat with flour, similar to the process earlier. After that, I usually place one ball of dough into a bowl with some olive oil, roll the dough in the bowl to coat it with the olive oil, then put some plastic wrap on it and let it sit at room temperature or a few hours, so that I can bake the dough that day.

With the other dough balls, I usually place them in small, sandwich-sized plastic bags that I put about a teaspoon of olive oil in. I rub the olive oil around in the bag and then place a dough ball in the bag, and toss it into the refrigerator for the next few days to allow the yeast to slowly develop in the dough.

After letting the dough sit at room temperature, or taking the dough out of the fridge (from overnight or a few days ago), I preheat the oven to 500+ degrees for at least 20 minutes, preferably 30, depending on just how hungry I am. Then, I place the dough in my hands and began to stretch it and pull it. This is actually more difficult than you'd think, because spelt flour dough likes to stretch thin in the middle and clump on the sides and too much pulling can result in either holes in the middle of he dough or having the dough so paper thin in the middle that it instantly burns when put in the oven.

Once I seem to have the dough stretched and pulled enough, I lay it down on a floured pizza peel. This is where spelt dough can also be tricky. Often times, the spelt pizza dough will stick to the peel. I try to maneuver the dough on the peel so that flour covers the dough so that it doesn't stick, even turning it over a few times and sprinkling excess flour on both sides because as you stretch the dough, it can absorb the flour and become sticky again.

After this, I dress the pizza and bake for 8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment