Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pizza


I somewhat consider myself a "spelt pizzaiolo". To call yourself a pizzaiolo is obviously almost a sacrilegious term unless of course you've spent at least 10 years in Naples, making pizza hundreds of times a day (okay, maybe less). But I do think that when I add the word spelt to the title, I take it to mean that I have a real lifelong dedication to making authentic spelt pizza. Plus, it's okay because I'm treading in an area that hardly anyone's ever treaded in before.

Sure, you'll find a handful of spelt pizza recipes on-line, but nothing headed in the direction of the D.O.P. Neopolitan style authentic Italian pizza.

Having said all this, you have to realize it's pretty hard for me to try authentic style Neapolitan style pizzas because I have food allergies. So every pizza place I go to, I have to go with my wife and rely on her palete or with some of my friends or my brother. One place we happened to go to was A16, a pizza restaurant in San Francisco, headed by chef and honored pizzaiolo, Nate Appleman. Here's the restaurant...



He was actually on an episode of Iron Chef, where he faced off against newest-comer, Michael Symon. Too bad he lost...

Anyway, if I could go anywhere in America to have pizza though, it would certainly be Pizzeria Bianco, widely considered the greatest pizza in the United States. Here's a video of the great Chris Bianco making a pizza... More on him later!

No comments:

Post a Comment